Lets Be Proactive, before Melasma Attacks this Summer! Taking the Right Steps
Melasma is also known as "Pregnancy Mask". Many women develop melasma during pregnancy, when taking oral contraceptives, after sun exposure, or when taking medication that may increase the production of melanin on your skin. Many external factors and internal factors can make melasma worsen including genetics, ethnicity, stress and of course our lovely hormones!
Melasma usually appears on face, primarily the cheek area, as well as the forehead and upper lip. Melasma is a medical condition that has no cure but our experienced esthetician and nurses at Mountcastle MedSpa can help you control it by recommending products and effective treatments. Here are few treatments we offer that have been proven to improve melasma, sun damage and other skin concerns.
1. Antioxidants have been proven to reduce melasma by suppressing pigmentation. The advancement of pigment correcting technology in the new Lytera 2.0, helps restore the skin. Lytera 2.0 uses more botanical, natural ingredients based on Marine Extract blends and phytic acid; the ingredients support a healthy skin barrier. Lytera 2.0 is hydroquinone-free as well as Retinol-free, paraben-free, fragrance-free and is non-comedogenic which makes this product so unique and safe to use during pregnancy, where hormonal changes occur!
2. Retinol allows your skin to become smoother and thicker. Retinol, minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, stimulates collagen and overall improves skin complexion by normalizing skin cells and by stimulating cell turn over.
3. Facials based on antioxidant ingredients, chemical peels, and brightening ingredients such as mandelic acid, have been proven to reduce melasma and any type of unwanted pigmentation on the skin. For patients that are concerned about recovery time from chemical peels, Osmosis has created non-acid peels called “Osmosis Infusion” which is a customize non-acid peel/ facial that contains only natural ingredients such as : Willow Bark, Mandelic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide and others... it is an excellent treatment!
4. Microneedling is another treatment that has shown added benefits in treating melasma. The treatment provides an effective physical method of enhancing transdermal delivery of effective topical ingredients. Microneedling has multiple tiny needles that range in size. This procedure not only stimulates collagen production, it also facilitates the penetration of corrective ingredients. At our practice, we are performing regular microneedling and microneedling with plasma (sometimes referred to as the "vampire facial"). The benefit of doing microneedling with PRP( your own plasma) is that our plasma is rich in skin nutrients and growth factors!
5. Fraxel Laser is also used to reduce melasma or any unwanted pigmentation such solar lentigos or sun damage. Fraxel creates microscopic opening in the skin; the controlled injury that Fraxel creates on the skin stimulates collagen. Fraxel is a great treatment for rejuvenation of the skin. Fraxel reduces fines, lines, wrinkles, scars, unwanted spots. This laser is all in one!
5. Suncreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Have a said Suncreen? This is key! SPF should be applied every two hours, yes every two hours, to reduce melanin stimulation from the sun. Mountcastle MedSpa has the most effective sunscreens on the market! Osmosis Protect is one of my favorite sunblocks that can be used with the Color Science Sunforgettable Brush on Sunscreen! It’s the perfect combination!
For my dear patients that are looking for a tinted corrective sunblock, Even Up Corrective Kit is phenomenal! It is clinically shown to reduce the appearance of skin discoloration and provides immediate coverage of uneven skin tone! The new corrective kit has a pigment corrector, sunblock, Sunforgettable Brush on Sunscreen, and a Hydrating Mist! It is a great deal! Colorscience new even up protective sfp is the perfect product for patients that suffer from melasma or any unwanted pigmentation.
Contact Mountcastle MedSpa today to discuss our Melama treatment options! 571-266-1776
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.