10 Facts About Modern Day Sclerotherapy Vein Treatment
For many individuals, especially women, varicose and spider veins are a common issue. Those that struggle with varicose veins not only want to cosmetically change the way their legs look but, in some cases, are in need of pain relief. The good news is that you can have healthy, attractive looking legs again with sclerotherapy. When warmer weather hits the Northern Virginia area, you won’t have to hide your legs any longer with help from this vein treatment.
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle is a dual board-certified medical vein specialist and plastic surgeon. Founder of the Mountcastle Vein Clinic in Ashburn, VA, Dr. Mountcastle has been helping Northern Virginia area patients with their vein concerns for over 15 years. His expertise and medical background have given patients medical and cosmetic relief when it comes to vein treatments in order to feel more confident about how they look. Here are the top 10 facts about sclerotherapy therapy and how this minimally invasive vein treatment permanently and safely removes spider and varicose veins from his patients’ legs.
The difference between spider and varicose veins
Even though varicose and spider veins both are a cosmetic issue for individuals in the Northern Virginia area, they have different elements to them. Both spider and varicose veins can occur due to age, poor circulation, fluctuations in weight, occupation or lifestyle, and genetics.
Spider veins are less prominent in appearance than varicose veins and are generally not painful. Spider veins are commonly seen in the leg area around the ankles, calves, or thighs but can also be seen on the face. Spider veins are damaged or weakened veins that have improper blood flow. Once the vein’s valve has a problem, the blood begins to accumulate or “pool” which over time makes the vein noticeable on the surface.
Varicose veins are generally closer to the surface and can appear lumpy or swollen. When the one-way valve inside a vein weakens it interrupts proper blood flow excess blood begins to build up putting pressure on the walls of the vein eventually causing it to bulge. They are often dark blue or purple in color and can become painful as well as worsen in appearance if not treated.
Getting help with Sclerotherapy
Seeking out professional help from a board-certified medical vein specialist like Dr. Mountcastle at a reputable vein treatment center such as Mountcastle Vein Clinic in Ashburn, VA is your first step towards finding a resolution for your spider or varicose veins. If certain options for treatment like compression garments don’t help painful symptoms or the appearance of varicose or spider veins are aesthetically unpleasing to you, then sclerotherapy treatments can be the solution.
Here are the top 10 facts about this effective vein treatment:
1) Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive procedure that utilizes a small needle to inject the sclerotherapy medication into the linings of varicose or spider veins. This formulated medication causes the veins to die off and collapse.
2) Sclerotherapy is not solely a treatment for cosmetic reasons. It can help individuals correct vein issues in order to help with medical complications like chronic swelling, pain, and developing other life-threatening conditions.
3) Sclerotherapy is a safe treatment for individuals struggling with spider or varicose veins. Northern Virginia area patients who have a medical history of blood clots are considered eligible for this outpatient procedure once approved by Dr. Mountcastle at Mountcastle Vein Clinic.
4) After the sclerotherapy procedure, the collapsed veins are absorbed into the body. Blood flow that once inhabited them is then rerouted by the body to other viable veins.
5) Sclerotherapy takes about an hour for the entire procedure but can vary depending on the number of veins or how extensive the target area is for treatment.
6) Patients must avoid applying lotion or shaving the target area for at least 24 hours prior to sclerotherapy treatment. It is recommended that patients arrive at the vein treatment center wearing loose or appropriate fitting clothes.
7) Anesthesia is not required for this procedure. Some slight discomfort will occur at the injection site such as mild burning or itching, but patients do remain awake and alert.
8) Mild side effects from sclerotherapy treatments may include some bruising, slight redness, and itchiness at the injection site. These side effects improve within a few days and are completely gone in a few weeks. It is also important for Northern Virginia patients who undergo sclerotherapy to avoid sun exposure during the first few weeks.
9) Vein improvement should begin in the following weeks and months after treatment at a reputable vein treatment center such as Mountcastle Vein Center. Most patients usually require more than one sclerotherapy treatment. Once the last treatment has been performed, spider veins can take up to 6 weeks for the body to reabsorb while varicose veins can take 3-4 months.
10) Sclerotherapy treatments can give patients lasting results. In the future, if new veins appear, patients can return to Mountcastle Vein Center for sclerotherapy treatments on a new target area.
Sclerotherapy treatments are an effective vein treatment for varicose or spider veins. This procedure requires no downtime, no anesthesia during treatments, and is a safe, proven solution to safely and permanently remove spider and varicose veins. If you are concerned about varicose veins or spider veins then we encourage you to contact the Mountcastle Vein Center in Ashburn, VA. Let dual board-certified medical vein specialist and plastic surgeon, Dr. Timothy Mountcastle give you relief from your vein issues.
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.